Weight Management & Nutrition
The OPTIFAST® program, which usually lasts 26 weeks, is a medically-supervised weight-management program that closely monitors and assesses progress towards better health and emotional well-being. The program utilizes a meal replacement plan that transitions to self-prepared 'everyday' meals, in conjunction with comprehensive patient education and support.
How is OPTIFAST® Different?
- Nutritionally complete meal replacements
- Medical monitoring
- Lifestyle and nutrition education
- Personalized support
- Long-term weight maintenance
The OPTIFAST® program has over 40 years of experience and documented outcomes in more than 80 clinical weight loss publications.
Through weight loss, the OPTIFAST® program can help improve the state of certain medical conditions of patients related to their excess weight. This clinically proven program was designed to help patients improve their health by losing weight under medical supervision.
Losing at least 5% of one's starting weight is considered "medically significant" because it is associated with improvements in risk factors or incidence of certain diseases and conditions in at-risk people who suffer from obesity.
After 2 years (based on approximately 610 participants in the study):
- 40% of patients maintained more than half their weight loss
- 78% of men and 60% of women maintained medically significant weight loss
After 5 years (based on approximately 335 participants):
- Approximately 50% of patients maintained medically significant weight loss